Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Olivanders: Makers of Fine Wands

Today was the day we had decided to go to Olivanders in Harry Potter World to buy our wands. This is the one souvineer that I had to have and I have been looking forward to this for months. I was not dissapointed with the experience! We got to the park just as it opened and went straight to the back to HP world. The line had already formed for the Olivanders show and even though we had gone straight there we still had to wait about 20 min. Once in the show, olivander introduced himself and talked about wands and such then he invited one of the audience members to come up to select a wand. The first wand O had him try didn't work right (instead of accio-ing the ladder, the drawers went crazy) the second wand was also not right, as instead of levitating the wand box it made the shelves fall down. After repairing the shelves O give the volunteer one more wand which, when he held it the lights glowed and the wand had chosen the wizard.

After that we were ushered out of the room and into the main shop. I talked to one of the shop wizards and looked at several wands. Mom picked out one wand, and she also let Ella pick out one, they bought theirs and left. Kerri stayed behind to help me pick out a wand. I was so anxious and just couldn't pick a wand. I was standing near the shelf where the wands were held when O himslef appeared in front of me and said " Are you a Ravenclaw? (I TOTALLY AM!!) and i was like, yes... Then he asked if the wand I was holding was the one I was drawn to. I told him that I just didn't know and couldn't decide. He asked me to hold out my hand and he looked at my hand and flicked it and said, " you have the healers touch" then he looked at the wand and said, "Vine, wonderful for healing spells, will go great with your healers touch" Then he took out his measuring tape and measured my head and said.. "Very intelegent!" He measured my arm and such and asked if my birthday was in September, I said no, March and he said that went perfectly with the Ash handle, and matched with the celtic calendar. He said that the wand would also be great with nature spells. He picked up the wand and told me that the core was a dragon's heartstring and that would go well with my firey determination. He ended by telling me that he thought I had chosen a wonderful wand. I was so stoked!
I thanked O and then went to buy the wand. THe clerks were all big eyed and opened mouth, they told me adn Kerri that that almost never happened outside of the show, and it was very rare for O to do it in the shop. They told me a bunch of times how lucky I was. They also mentioned that they don't know what the cores are (the boxes are only labeled with the type of wood) and only the wandmakers know and can tell you. They told me how lucky I was to know what type of core I had, especially since I learned it outside of the show. it was better than I ever coudl have expected for my wand buying experience! i felt super special, it was a truely magical experience! Kerri had the camera, and forgot that it took video as well as pictures, but she did manage to take quite a few pictures of me and O talking. It is the very best part of the whole vacation so far!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment